- Adding Colour & Depth to our Modern Lives by Digging Deeper into ancient cultures through Archaeology & Ancient History around us. Archaeology, ancient literature, even Latin itself.
- Discover Art & Design’s Common Humanity from Ages past
Also: Motivational & Inspirational Talks that provide timeless yet ever new concepts:
- Timeless, Ancient Roots of Everything. From Gardens to Businesses & Professions, from Genres to Leadership, and from Why We Travel to Design & Creativity.
- Finding the New in a World where Nothing is New
- Tapping into Personal & Professional Eternal Aspirations & Inspiration
See below for a selection of dates of upcoming Muddy Archaeologist talks (Check out COURSES page for many more ways to connect with the ancient world with me).
- 11 Jan The Arts Society, Honiton What did the Greeks & Romans ever do for Art?
- 13 Jan CICERONI Travel webinar on Midwinter Solstice
- 25 Jan York Arts Society Classical Art & the Perception of Beauty
- 12 April The Arts Society, Halifax At Home with the Romans: the Iconic Roman Villa
A wide-ranging Range of Lectures and Courses is available
A dedicated Arts Lecture Portfolio is also available (Gillian is an accredited lecturer of the Arts Society)
NEW FOR 2022 Study days:
Tutankhamun’s World: Egypt Rising from the Sands Celebrate the 100th anniversary of Carter’s great discovery of ‘Wonderful things’ with this Full or Half Day Study Day. Explore the astonished world of Tutankhamun and his treasures. The World of Tutankhamun synopsis
The World of Stonehenge What we know/think we know about the site, then explore the vibrant Neolithic world of the first farmers and their time; finally, we explore Neolithic sites and learn what to look for when we’re out and about.
The Complete Pompeii. Ever popular day. Join me, an archaeologist who has excavated on a Pompeian site, for a full or half day exploring the wonders of life in this ancient city 2,000 years ago. Complete Pompeii Synopsis
Ancient Roots: Classical Stories growing in your Garden Uproot the myths and uses of plants 2,000 years ago, and discover the ancient roots of our modern gardens today
Some of the most popular Muddy Archaeologist talks are:
- Complete Pompeii Full Study Day Find out how to truly enter the world of the Romans at Pompeii.
- A Mediterranean Tour – Not Just a Load of Old Stones Getting to grips with ALL the ancient civilisations and identifying their distinctive art and place and time.
- A Muddy History of Britain – A Local View The archaeology of Britain seen through the big famous sites and your own sites near you
- Digging Deeper in Pompeii with the Muddy Archaeologist
- Latin Yesterday, Today & Forever How and why Latin remained part of our lives through the centuries and today)
- Roman Britain: What did the Romans Ever do for Us?
- Pompeii – A Fresh Look at Frescoes Revel in the colour and themes of beautiful wall paintings and what they tell us about Roman life and aspirations.
- Pompeii – A Product of its Time How an ordinary town like Pompeii is a window onto the world of the Roman Empire.
- A selection of talks on enjoying archaeological destinations & sites including Neolithic Orkney & Shetland, Megalithic Malta, the Mycenaean World, Minoan Crete, Ancient Cyprus, Ancient Sicily, the Brave New World of Ancient Greece, Hadrian’s Wall, Pompeii & related sites, Romans across their Empire, the Romans in your area, and many others. View a recent talk on the archaeology of Jarlshof, Shetland here.
- Talks also available on specialist themes:
- Your Profession
- Animals in the ancient world – myths, uses, folklore, rich images …
Options include: Bee-keeping; Birds; Pets; Sea Life;
Plus: Latin Names Brought to Life
- Classical literature & authors (an overview guide or focus on any one, such as Homer, Greek playwrights, Pliny, Cicero, Ovid, Virgil, Horace, Catullus, Suetonius, Vitruvius …);
- Greek & Roman mythology;
- Ancient philosophy – How the Romans Saw the World;
- Latin inscriptions;
- Sailing the Wine Dark Sea, and more
- Contact me to arrange a talk for your society Tel. 07860 637301
For more details please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Of course, I would look forward very much to seeing you at any of the public talks below. If any are anywhere near your area and you’d like me to speak to a society or organisation near you while I’m there, please contact me.
And don’t forget, if you’re in North Yorkshire, there are a wealth of courses to join in with too! I’m also happy to travel to deliver a course near you: one-day, weekend, one-week options.
Public Talks by The Muddy Archaeologist in 2022
Mon 31 Jan 2022 for 3 Monday evenings The World of Stonehenge Rossett School Adult Learning, Harrogate
Sat 5 & 12 Feb 2022 Nothing New under the Sun: Roman Satire York University CLL
Weds 16 Feb 2022 The Complete Pompeii Study Day Dorking Arts Society,
Weds 23 Feb 2022 The Complete Pompeii Study Day Cotswolds Arts Society, Burford
Weds 2 March 2022 for 3 Wednesday evenings Tutankhamun: Egypt Rising from the Ashes Rossett School Adult Learning, Harrogate
Thurs 3 & 4 March 2022 The World of Stonehenge CICERONI Travel Online
Sat 5 March 2022 Virgil’s Aeneid; Epic Insight into Augustan Rome York University CLL (postponed to Autumn term)
Weds 8 March 2022 Ancient Roots: Classical Stories growing in your Garden Study Day Woodbridge Arts Society
Tues 12 April 2022 The Iconic Roman Villa Halifax Arts Society
Mon 25 April The Perception of Beauty: Greek & Roman Art & their Legacy Study day, High Wycombe Arts Society
Mon 11 July – Fri 15 July Latin Yesterday, Today & For Ever mornings, Marlborough College Summer School
Mon 11 July – Fri 15 July Archaeology of Roman Britain afternoons, Marlborough College Summer School
Mon 18 July – Fri 22 July Archaeology of Prehistoric Britain mornings, Marlborough College Summer School
Mon 18 July – Fri 22 July Classical Literature: Meeting the Ancient Authors, afternoons, Marlborough College Summer School
Mon 25 July – Fri 29 July Classical Mythology & Ovid’s Metamosphoses: Lands of Myths & Legends mornings, Marlborough College Summer School
Weds 27 July 2022 Egypt Rising from the Sands : The Centenary of Carter’s discovery of Tutankhamun’s Tomb Evening talk, Marlborough College Summer School
Tues 6 Sept 2022 Pompeii: Digging Deeper with The Muddy Archaeologist Needwood Arts Society
Tues 13 Sept 2022 Wealdon Arts Society
Monday 19 Sept 2022 Darlington Lecture Association
Weds 21 Sept Leeds Arts Society
Tues 8 Nov 2022 Mallorca Arts Society
Weds 16 Nov 2022 Wetherby Lunch
Weds 23 Nov Stafford Arts Society
Thurs 8 Dec 2022 Tarpoley Arts Society
Tues 13 Dec 2022 Surrey Hills Arts Society
Thurs 15 Dec 2022 Arts Society
Mon 16 Jan 2023 Wirral Arts Society
Mon 23 Jan 2023 Chipping Sodbury Arts Society
Weds 25 Jan 2023 Kingsbridge Arts Society
Tues 7 Feb 2023 West Suffolk Arts Society
Fri 24 Feb 2023 Bearsted Historical Society
October 2023 ADFAS lecture Tour
November 2023 NZADFAS lecture tour
Tues 5 Dec 2023 Southport Arts Society
Thurs 7 Dec 2023 Penzance Arts Society
Fri 8 Dec 2023 Falmouth Arts Society
Tues 12 Dec 2023 Farnham Arts Society
Book now to a talk by the Muddy Archaeologist
Gillian Hovell is an Arts Society Accredited Lecturer
Vast and varied Arts Society Portfolio of Talks and Study Days available here