A wide-ranging Range of Lectures and Courses is available
A dedicated Arts Lecture Portfolio is also available (Gillian is an accredited lecturer of the Arts Society)
2018 Ratings for Arts Society Talks: 30% Outstanding; 20% Excellent; 50% Very Good (0% rated Good, Passable or Poor)
NEW FOR 2021 Study day:
Tutankhamun’s World: An Archaeologist’s View – So Much More than a Tomb and a Mask Celebrate the 100th anniversary of Carter’s great discovery of ‘Wonderful things’ with this Full or Half Day Study Day. Explore the astonished world of Tutankhamun and his treasures. The World of Tutankhamun synopsis
The Complete Pompeii. Join me, an archaeologist who has excavated on a Pompeian site, for a full or half day exploring the wonders of life in this ancient city 2,000 years ago. Complete Pompeii Synopsis
Why not try my NEW TALKS
- Planets, Panthers & Palettes: Roman Pliny’s Remarkable ‘Natural History’ Discover the astonishing ways the Romans viewed the amazing natural world 2,000 years ago … Was Pliny an eco-warrior?
- Ancient Roots: Classical Stories growing in your Garden Uproot the myths and uses of plants 2,000 years ago, and discover the ancient roots of our modern gardens today
Some of the most popular Muddy Archaeologist talks are:
- Complete Pompeii Full Study Day Find out how to truly enter the world of the Romans at Pompeii.
- A Mediterranean Tour – Not Just a Load of Old Stones Getting to grips with ALL the ancient civilisations and identifying their distinctive art and place and time.
- A Muddy History of Britain – A Local View The archaeology of Britain seen through the big famous sites and your own sites near you
- Digging Deeper in Pompeii with the Muddy Archaeologist
- Latin Yesterday, Today & Forever How and why Latin remained part of our lives through the centuries and today)
- Roman Britain: What did the Romans Ever do for Us?
- Pompeii – A Fresh Look at Frescoes Revel in the colour and themes of beautiful wall paintings and what they tell us about Roman life and aspirations.
- Pompeii – A Product of its Time How an ordinary town like Pompeii is a window onto the world of the Roman Empire.
- A selection of talks on enjoying archaeological destinations & sites including Neolithic Orkney & Shetland, Megalithic Malta, the Mycenaean World, Minoan Crete, Ancient Cyprus, Ancient Sicily, the Brave New World of Ancient Greece, Hadrian’s Wall, Pompeii & related sites, Romans across their Empire, the Romans in your area, and many others. View a recent talk on the archaeology of Jarlshof, Shetland here.
- Talks also available on specialist themes:
- Your Profession
- Animals in the ancient world – myths, uses, folklore, rich images …
Options include: Bee-keeping; Birds; Pets; Sea Life;
Plus: Latin Names Brought to Life
- Classical literature & authors (an overview guide or focus on any one, such as Homer, Greek playwrights, Pliny, Cicero, Ovid, Virgil, Horace, Catullus, Suetonius, Vitruvius …);
- Greek & Roman mythology;
- Ancient philosophy – How the Romans Saw the World;
- Latin inscriptions;
- Sailing the Wine Dark Sea, and more.Contact me to arrange a talk for your society Tel. 07860 637301
For more details please email firstname.lastname@example.orgOf course, I would look forward very much to seeing you at any of the public talks below. If any are anywhere near your area and you’d like me to speak to a society or organisation near you while I’m there, please contact me.
And don’t forget, if you’re in North Yorkshire, there are a wealth of courses to join in with too! I’m also happy to travel to deliver a course near you: one-day, weekend, one-week options.
Public Talks by The Muddy Archaeologist in 2021
Book now to arrange a talk by the Muddy Archaeologist
Gillian Hovell is an Arts Society Accredited Lecturer
Vast and varied Arts Society Portfolio of Talks and Study Days available here