Welcome to the website of Gillian Hovell BA (Hons)
‘The Muddy Archaeologist’
Award-winning Writer, Lover of Latin, Ancient Historian, Prehistorian and Muddy Archaeologist.
Independent Lecturer at York University
In person – Online – In the Media – In the Field
Expert broadcaster: AS HEARD ON BBC RADIO (R2, R4, Five Live & World Service and more) & seen on Sky History & BBC News Channel
Expert speaker, nationally & internationally
Mob. 07860 637301 Tel. 01423 203516
Richly illustrated and academically spot on. Friendly, Fun and Fact-filled.
- Practical Latin 1: First Steps – Getting you Started The Basics FREE PREVIEW HERE
- Practical Latin 2 : Stepping Out – Develop & Apply Your Latin FREE PREVIEW HERE
- Neolithic Orkney – Explore 5,000 year-old archaeology A sense of time & place on these gorgeous northern islands FREE PREVIEW HERE
Come, from wherever you are in the world, and escape to the Ancient World with me!
Free registration gives you FREE access to the monthly Q&A / in conversation with The Muddy Archaeologist session! Just register and join in!
Read my CV here: Gillian Hovell BA CV 2023
In person, in the field, on line and in the media I’m renowned for changing the way folk see the world around them.
I can do this for you and your audience by:
- showing how our modern lives are filled with stories and influences from the past,
- revealing the relevance of the art, history, archaeology or Latin that is all around us,
- discovering the underlying humanity that makes us part of the ‘big picture’ of history and civilization,
- opening our eyes to finding and understanding archaeological sites and finds,
- and so adding colour and depth and fresh meaning to our everyday lives.
Informative, entertaining and lively.
Listen in: A Spot of Fun : ‘Midnight Mastermind’ Radio 2’s OJ Borg at 12.30am Tuesday 13th November 2018
View a recent lecture about the archaeology of Jarlshof, Shetland while on board Le Boreal while crossing a ‘lively’ North Sea
Ex BBC TV, I specialise in making all history and also the classics relevant and exciting, and in opening the audience’s eyes to seeing the richness of heritage around us.
My talks inspire and inform courses, national and local societies and community projects, and are perfect to inspire travel and tourism companies, museums, galleries, history-based and classical associations, universities and colleges, and literary groups, amongst others.
A wide-ranging Portfolio of Talks and Courses on archaeology, ancient history & Latin is available
A newly updated dedicated Arts Lecture portfolio is also available, with great Study Days
A blossoming Gardeners’ Ancient Roots portfolio can be read here
For an ancient Natural History selection, click here
To book a richly-illustrated, engaging and lively talk, course or study day, or to join me on a tour or a cruise, or arrange a private tour or event, or to arrange a media appearance:
Tel. 01423 203516 Mob. 07860 637301
You can subscribe to our Muddy Archaeologist newsletter by simply entering your email address below and clicking the button.